One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for rare bird
rarity, rare person, rare thing, rare bird, wonder, marvel, nonpareil, nonesuch, one of a kind, findView synonyms
- ‘Pull it all together and you will have a rara avis to add zest to your party.’
- ‘‘It can be stated without fear of contradiction,’ Thomas Baker writes, ‘that the truly clever or amusing law review article is the quintessential rara avis.’’
- ‘The author of some noteworthy ones, George Caleb Bingham, was himself a rara avis: a professional painter who was also a political candidate.’
- ‘Heller is both a poet and critic, that well-plumed rara avis who flies effortlessly between poetry and criticism and adroitly links their dual legacies.’
- ‘Ushenko is that rara avis in contemporary art, a big-hearted romantic satirist.’
- ‘By mating Western classical music with the musical traditions of his homeland - both popular and classical - Vali has been the foster-father to a beautiful hybrid, a rara avis.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.