Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for rare bird
rarity, rare person, rare thing, rare bird, wonder, marvel, nonpareil, nonesuch, one of a kind, findanomaly, curiosity, oddity, aberration, freakone-off, onerView synonyms
- ‘Ushenko is that rara avis in contemporary art, a big-hearted romantic satirist.’
- ‘Pull it all together and you will have a rara avis to add zest to your party.’
- ‘The author of some noteworthy ones, George Caleb Bingham, was himself a rara avis: a professional painter who was also a political candidate.’
- ‘Heller is both a poet and critic, that well-plumed rara avis who flies effortlessly between poetry and criticism and adroitly links their dual legacies.’
- ‘‘It can be stated without fear of contradiction,’ Thomas Baker writes, ‘that the truly clever or amusing law review article is the quintessential rara avis.’’
- ‘By mating Western classical music with the musical traditions of his homeland - both popular and classical - Vali has been the foster-father to a beautiful hybrid, a rara avis.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.