Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who performs rap music.‘he was a fearsome rapper, with a distictively gruff, meandering style’
- ‘What was interesting about Linkin Park was that they had two vocalists - a rapper and a rock singer.’
- ‘Lee said he had been unaware that the rapper had made music and video recordings from behind bars.’
- ‘Their heroes are rappers and members of violent gangs such as the Young Americans, the Mafia, the Firm, and Hard Livings.’
- ‘Of the eight rappers that Shaw follows over the course of a year, one winds up dead, one gets a record deal, and the rest end up exactly where they started.’
- ‘From the chorus to the rappers students gave their all, bringing weeks of hard work to fruition.’
- ‘Does anybody else remember the Bone Thugs actually being reasonably good, edgy, topical rappers?’
- ‘Of course it's a joke with a limited shelf-life, but these Welsh rappers were occasionally very funny.’
- ‘By paying attention to his lyrical skill, you notice that he is not only a phenomenal rapper, but also a fine poet.’
- ‘They still had a deal in Japan and put together an album featuring guest singers and rappers while they pondered their next move.’
- ‘Parker also sneered at efforts by other rappers to get young people to vote.’
- ‘What drives a lot of rappers is this kind of ceaseless entrepreneurial spirit.’
- ‘Public Enemy's Chuck D is constantly calling on rappers to live up to their potential rather than down to expectations.’
- ‘Both aspects of the rapper's persona contribute to his or her commercial success.’
- ‘These chambers sometimes get so hot that the rappers have stripped down to their skivvies to record.’
- ‘Just up the street from the breakdancers were the freestyle rappers.’
- ‘The pantheon of legendary female rockers and rappers is woefully small.’
- ‘Now top rappers began to write edgy lyrics celebrating street warfare or drugs and promiscuity.’
- ‘There's something slightly disconcerting about rappers reaching the ripe old age of 40.’
- ‘Conveniently, local rappers don't even have to leave the city to do just that.’
- ‘Can anyone point to a rapper or group of rappers that are willing or even capable of doing all of this?’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.