Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Shout and complain angrily and at length.‘stop ranting and raving for a minute and start being honest with yourself’
hold forth, go on and on, deliver a tirade, rant and rave, fulminate, sound off, spout, pontificate, trumpet, bluster, declaimshout, yell, roar, bellowmouth offvociferateView synonyms
- ‘I rant and rave at the screen, decrying the dumbing down of what used to be a medium for entertaining and educating.’
- ‘He ranted and raved, and gave the same lines again and again.’
- ‘‘Joe called our head offices himself and ranted and raved about it,’ says a top editor at one of the weeklies.’
- ‘I began to rant and rave angrily, in a loud voice.’
- ‘People seem to think he is not passionate enough, but it's just that he doesn't rant and rave.’
- ‘‘You can't rant and rave; you can't scream and put people in shock, though I have worked with directors who do that and it's pretty scary,’ Garry says.’
- ‘Are you tired of hearing students rant and rave about how their tuition fees are too high?’
- ‘Only this afternoon did I rant and rave about these designs.’
- ‘So when I used to rant and rave about it, it was because I did not have first hand knowledge.’
- ‘I could rant and rave about it but that wouldn't make a difference.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.