Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An instrument for estimating the distance of an object, especially for use with a camera or gun.
- ‘The electro-optical systems include a television camera, optional infra-red camera and laser rangefinder.’
- ‘If you have never used a rangefinder you probably won't be able to appreciate why this is utterly cool.’
- ‘Relatively new on the scene, laser rangefinders have improved dramatically in the few short years since they came on the market.’
- ‘Then add a laser rangefinder to the hunter's kit to eliminate range estimation and sighting errors.’
- ‘We can buy laser rangefinders that are accurate to the nearest foot.’
- ‘Teamed with modern telescopic sights, rangefinders, binoculars, and spotting scopes, these modern tools are the most humane hunting implements we, as hunters, have ever had.’
- ‘If you go to Adobe Walls today equipped with a rangefinder you will quickly see that none of the distant buttes are 1,538 yards away.’
- ‘Other very popular accessories are chronographs and rangefinders.’
- ‘Bushnell's Yardage Pro family of rangefinders has been around a long time.’
- ‘Bushnell offers an extensive line of binoculars, spotting scopes, riflescopes, rangefinders, telescopes and night vision products.’
- ‘Hunters can also select a scan mode to receive continuously updated distance readouts as the rangefinder scans an area.’
- ‘It's now possible to buy a relatively inexpensive rangefinder with twice the power and half the size of rangefinders used only five years ago.’
- ‘The fire control system includes a laser rangefinder, computer, wind sensor and, in the latest model, thermal imaging equipment.’
- ‘The optical sensor functions as a rangefinder, measuring the height of the target beneath the missile and profiling the target simultaneously.’
- ‘In 1932 they entered the military market, producing binoculars and rangefinders for the Manchurian campaign.’
- ‘There are new palm-size radios, global positioning systems, rangefinders, infrared cameras, laser sights and night vision devices.’
- ‘Like laser rangefinders, night vision equipment is becoming more affordable.’
- ‘Nikon, Bushnell, Zeiss, Leica and Swarovski are leaders in rangefinders.’
- ‘Starting in '06, rangefinders will be legal on the PGA Tour.’
- ‘Bushnell is an acknowledged leader in the fields of laser rangefinders and binoculars.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.