One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An instrument for estimating the distance of an object, especially for use with a camera or gun.
- ‘The electro-optical systems include a television camera, optional infra-red camera and laser rangefinder.’
- ‘Relatively new on the scene, laser rangefinders have improved dramatically in the few short years since they came on the market.’
- ‘Bushnell's Yardage Pro family of rangefinders has been around a long time.’
- ‘Other very popular accessories are chronographs and rangefinders.’
- ‘The optical sensor functions as a rangefinder, measuring the height of the target beneath the missile and profiling the target simultaneously.’
- ‘The fire control system includes a laser rangefinder, computer, wind sensor and, in the latest model, thermal imaging equipment.’
- ‘Hunters can also select a scan mode to receive continuously updated distance readouts as the rangefinder scans an area.’
- ‘Nikon, Bushnell, Zeiss, Leica and Swarovski are leaders in rangefinders.’
- ‘Bushnell is an acknowledged leader in the fields of laser rangefinders and binoculars.’
- ‘Then add a laser rangefinder to the hunter's kit to eliminate range estimation and sighting errors.’
- ‘Starting in '06, rangefinders will be legal on the PGA Tour.’
- ‘Bushnell offers an extensive line of binoculars, spotting scopes, riflescopes, rangefinders, telescopes and night vision products.’
- ‘There are new palm-size radios, global positioning systems, rangefinders, infrared cameras, laser sights and night vision devices.’
- ‘It's now possible to buy a relatively inexpensive rangefinder with twice the power and half the size of rangefinders used only five years ago.’
- ‘Teamed with modern telescopic sights, rangefinders, binoculars, and spotting scopes, these modern tools are the most humane hunting implements we, as hunters, have ever had.’
- ‘We can buy laser rangefinders that are accurate to the nearest foot.’
- ‘Like laser rangefinders, night vision equipment is becoming more affordable.’
- ‘If you have never used a rangefinder you probably won't be able to appreciate why this is utterly cool.’
- ‘In 1932 they entered the military market, producing binoculars and rangefinders for the Manchurian campaign.’
- ‘If you go to Adobe Walls today equipped with a rangefinder you will quickly see that none of the distant buttes are 1,538 yards away.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.