Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A type of jet engine in which the air drawn in for combustion is compressed solely by the forward motion of the aircraft.
- ‘The two main contenders are hypersonic ramjets or scramjets and nanotube-based space elevators.’
- ‘The X - 43A is an air-breathing supersonic ramjet, which ducts air directly from the atmosphere, mixing it with hydrogen before combustion.’
- ‘The engine, which will be provided by the Air Force, will be a dual-mode scramjet capable of running as a ramjet or scramjet.’
- ‘They've carried 400 lb of cargo, but the X - 15 carried a comparable amount of instrumentation, telemetry, flight experiments, data recorders, and on several occasions, a test model of a supersonic ramjet.’
- ‘The unpiloted vehicle's supersonic combustion ramjet, or scramjet, ignited as planned and operated for the duration of its hydrogen fuel supply.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.