One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A change of wavelength exhibited by some of the radiation scattered in a medium. The effect is specific to the molecules which cause it, and so can be used in spectroscopic analysis.Compare with Rayleigh scattering
- ‘Consisting of a silica core covered by a metallic shell, the nanoshells capture and focus the passing light, enhancing the Raman effect.’
- ‘The Raman effect arises from the inelastic scattering of radiation in the visible region by molecules.’
- ‘The Raman effect is extremely pronounced in silicon, though it isn't in fiber materials, Paniccia said.’
- ‘Intel managed to produce a full Raman effect on silicon.’
- ‘He received the 1930 Nobel Prize in Physics for his research on the diffusion of light and discovery of the Raman effect.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.