One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The ninth month of the Muslim year, during which strict fasting is observed from dawn to sunset.
- ‘He acknowledged that beef was usually more expensive ahead of the Muslim fasting month of Ramadhan.’
- ‘During Ramadan, Muslims must abstain from drinking, eating and sex from sunrise to sunset.’
- ‘He contended they died because their fasting during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan had weakened them.’
- ‘Muslims around the world participate in Ramadan every ninth lunar month of the Islamic calendar.’
- ‘The campaign has been held back until after the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which will end this week.’
- ‘Counting resumed yesterday after pausing on Friday for the beginning of Ramadan, the Muslim fasting month.’
- ‘They also brought food for victims to break their fast as the third day of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan came to a close.’
- ‘He's also a Muslim, currently observing Ramadan, but fanatical only about sports.’
- ‘Muslims are fasting for Ramadan for a month and this week-end it will end with Eid.’
- ‘She came up with a suggestion that they take a holiday from cooking during the entire month of Ramadan.’
- ‘During the month of Ramadan, observant Muslims fast from sunrise until sunset.’
- ‘November 17 marked the first day of the holy month of Ramadan for Muslim students on campus.’
- ‘For Monday marked the start of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, and from now on, life in Bangladesh begins when the sun goes down.’
- ‘Muslims are required to fast during Ramadan, the ninth month of the Islamic calendar.’
- ‘Coming out of the month of Ramadan and into Hajj, you need to quickly get your body in shape.’
- ‘It also came a day ahead of the expected start of the holy Muslim month of Ramadan.’
- ‘During the month of Ramadan, Muslims refrain from food and drink during the daylight hours.’
- ‘During Ramadan, Muslims are obliged to abstain completely from food and drink during daylight hours.’
- ‘It just so happened that my trip coincided with the holy month of Ramadan.’
- ‘Because of kidney trouble, my mother cannot observe Fast during the month of Ramadan.’
From Arabic ramaḍān, from ramaḍa ‘be hot’. The lunar reckoning of the Muslim calendar brings the fast eleven days earlier each year, eventually causing Ramadan to occur in any season; originally it was supposed to be in one of the hot months.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.