Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A robbery in which a shop window is rammed with a vehicle and looted.
- ‘‘We are hoping to stay because other than our problems with the ram raids this is a good little shop and we want to keep it as such,’ she said.’
- ‘Following a ram raid in November 2002, Mrs Skirrow and her business partner Sarah Oakley had shutters installed.’
- ‘The move follows a series of recent ram raids, when thieves have smashed into the barriers to get at the cash.’
- ‘Incidents have included ram raids and commercial burglaries.’
- ‘Detectives are probing links between two smash-and-grab robberies on Bolton banks and a ram raid on a Bury bank.’
- ‘A gang of masked robbers stole thousands of pounds worth of electrical equipment during a ram raid on a shop in Prestwich.’
- ‘The other day I visited a pharmacist in Auckland who had suffered from ram raids.’
- ‘We went to see one of the pharmacists there who was just getting over a ram raid through her shop window.’
- ‘The council was supposed to be fencing off the shops to prevent ram raids but that has not been completed.’
- ‘The Leigh shop, which has only had three managers in its 48 year history, was the target of a big armed robbery in 1988 and has since been the subject of ram raids.’
- ‘A Tadworth man has been charged in connection with three ram raids in Banstead, which were all carried out on the same night.’
- ‘We have had robberies in the past, but not ram raids.’
- ‘Just over a year ago, Eurotechnix was a victim of a ram raid.’
- ‘Police have arrested three men and a juvenile over a ram raid at Lamb for Liquor bottle shop early on Sunday morning.’
- ‘But many other villains are stealing cars to use in other crimes, such as robberies and ram raids, then setting fire to them to cover their tracks.’
- ‘The white Ford Sierra was used in three ram raids before ending up burnt-out in Beare Heath, four miles south of Dorking.’
- ‘Offenders stole 12 bottles of Jim Beam bourbon in the ram raid at the Chapman Road store.’
- ‘Karen said they realised the seven-seater Shogun was gone on Tuesday morning and then received a phone call from the police to say it had been used in a ram raid.’
- ‘There have been 24 ram raids throughout Kent since December 2004.’
- ‘Raiders used a stolen four-wheel-drive vehicle in an early morning ram raid on a Salisbury gift shop on Friday.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.