An abnormal rattling sound heard when examining unhealthy lungs with a stethoscope:‘she was listening for rales’
- ‘The physician should check the chest and lungs for signs of consolidation, wheezing, rales, and trauma.’
- ‘The chest had diffuse wheezes and occasional rales.’
- ‘The physical exam may be normal or the lung exam may reveal fine rales or wheezes.’
- ‘Physical examination of the lungs may reveal rales and pleural effusions.’
- ‘Examination of the lungs may initially reveal focal rales that will eventually become diffuse.’
Early 19th century: from French râle, from râler to rattle.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.