One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A strong alcoholic spirit made in eastern Europe or the Middle East.
- ‘Meals for guests or for ceremonial occasions such as weddings usually involve copious amounts of meat, washed down with Albanian raki, an alcoholic beverage.’
- ‘The state makes almost a quarter of each year's wine production into brandy and the aniseed-flavoured spirit raki (like arak) which, drunk with water, is the Turks' favoured alcoholic drink.’
- ‘He tossed back his raki and reached out for the flask.’
- ‘Glass thimbles of home-distilled raki were raised and clinked.’
- ‘A locally famous drink is the anise seed based raki, and brandy sour is another favorite with the Turkish Cypriots.’
From Turkish rakı.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.