One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A strong alcoholic spirit made in eastern Europe or the Middle East.
- ‘The state makes almost a quarter of each year's wine production into brandy and the aniseed-flavoured spirit raki (like arak) which, drunk with water, is the Turks' favoured alcoholic drink.’
- ‘A locally famous drink is the anise seed based raki, and brandy sour is another favorite with the Turkish Cypriots.’
- ‘Meals for guests or for ceremonial occasions such as weddings usually involve copious amounts of meat, washed down with Albanian raki, an alcoholic beverage.’
- ‘Glass thimbles of home-distilled raki were raised and clinked.’
- ‘He tossed back his raki and reached out for the flask.’
From Turkish rakı.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.