A former beach now lying above water level owing to geological changes since its formation.
- ‘Numerous raised beaches have been recognized in this area.’
- ‘The region lacks prominent landmarks, and the raised beaches are sandy and subject to wind erosion and sand drift.’
- ‘Carbon dating of driftwood on raised beaches supports this scenario, suggesting that more icefree conditions prevailed during this same period.’
- ‘Situated on a raised beach next to the sea, the site ‘had all the hallmarks of ancient building techniques’ and Fife Council set to excavate.’
- ‘The first mile is on a raised beach and follows the rugged coastline.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.