Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Elevated to a higher position or level; lifted.‘the lord and his family ate on a raised platform at one end of the hall’
- ‘We also found drainage manhole covers raised to drain off the waters.’
- ‘I don't grow in rows, but in raised beds.’
- ‘This will create age structure in the heather, improve habitat for grouse and allow us to see if there are any drainage channels taking water away from the raised mire.’
- ‘A mound, or motte, was raised up to one hundred feet in height.’
- ‘The flooring is Canadian beech and this is teamed with a raised fireplace, ceiling coving and a pale yellow colour scheme.’
- ‘The noses are riveted to a raised area, carefully indented to the front along a vertical midline.’
- ‘To the right, the drawing room is a spacious area with a raised fireplace with brass inset and white marble hearth.’
- ‘Sills at nine locks are still to be lowered and seventeen bridges and guard gates must yet be raised to the twenty-foot level.’
- 1.1Embossed; in relief.‘the building features raised lettering’embossed, relief, relievo, cameo, die-stamped, thermographed, ribbedView synonyms
- 1.2(of pastry) standing without support.
2More intense or strong than usual; higher.‘a neighbour heard raised voices from the women's flat’‘as we age we are more likely to have raised blood pressure’
- ‘The temperature was raised using a linear heating rate of 1.0°C / min.’
- ‘The growth chamber temperature was gradually raised from 24 °C to 39 °C over a period of 2 weeks.’
- ‘Yet, voices continue to be raised in opposition.’
- ‘Archie looked back to the crewmen who were now looking their way, attracted by their raised voices.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.