One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A single drop of rain.
rainfall, precipitation, raindrops, rainwater, wet weatherView synonyms
- ‘Well, we find also that air quality has an impact on the size of the raindrops.’
- ‘These days one moves in and out of pop culture the way one dodges raindrops in a downpour.’
- ‘It's so hot and humid I feel like I'm living in a raindrop.’
- ‘Thunder rolled and raindrops hammered the gardens of Halliel as the storm gave full vent to its fury.’
- ‘Now, the tears were coming out as fast as the fat monsoon raindrops outside were coming down.’
- ‘The rain pelted down and pelted down and the raindrops smeared my glasses so I could barely see.’
- ‘Imagine trying to count the raindrops on your car's windshield after a light rain.’
- ‘The clouds are deepest in the area just ahead of the surface front, and this is where precipitation falls as small raindrops.’
- ‘The wind shifted and a single raindrop came through the window and landed exactly on the candlewick, extinguishing it.’
- ‘It started raining and we had to continue our eating indoors as raindrops were falling through the cloth roof onto our food.’
- ‘Thunder rolled through the clouds as the lightning hopped from cloud to cloud and I felt a raindrop hit my cheek as it started to sprinkle down.’
- ‘‘It's starting to rain,’ Gabe said as a large raindrop splashed against his forehead.’
- ‘The first thunderclap brought down raindrops and hailstones as big as marbles.’
- ‘I spend the rest of the morning doing postcards while others dodge raindrops to do some shopping.’
- ‘She expected it to hail soon, as she could hear the splattering of raindrops over the car roof.’
- ‘She looked up at the sky, and a single raindrop hit her face, which was followed by several more.’
- ‘A gust of cold air along with some scattered raindrops hit us, and our day in the park was abandoned.’
- ‘Although most of the light passes straight through a raindrop, the light at the edges is refracted and then reflected away from the raindrop.’
- ‘The bending of sunlight by the raindrops is the key to forming the colorful rainbows.’
- ‘It was all black with a single white rose in the middle, a raindrop falling off its petal.’
Old English regndropa (see rain, drop).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.