Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A long coat, typically having a belt, made from waterproofed or water-resistant fabric.
- ‘Almost all the raincoats were transparent plastic and made from a variety of materials from cling film to film negatives.’
- ‘Instead, according to the weather bureau, you'll be more comfortable in raincoats and windbreakers - if you intend venturing outdoors.’
- ‘There are caps, a raincoat, a water-proof jacket, an umbrella and a medium weight jerkin, all kept in his care.’
- ‘They were all wearing raincoats and trilby hats and carrying small cardboard suitcases.’
- ‘A raincoat will keep you high and dry, and it's a great way to add some punch to your sweater and jeans.’
- ‘Trek yanked on his jeans and a yellow raincoat and ran out into the storm.’
- ‘Two men in felt hats and raincoats cast long shadows outside what we take to be Parliament Buildings.’
- ‘From the coolest raincoats to the classiest overcoats, you're not ready for spring until you get your hands on a spring jacket.’
- ‘He once turned up at Buckingham Palace in a fawn raincoat, woollen gloves and an old silk hat.’
- ‘Three years ago Burberry meant outdated raincoats, but now the check has been transformed into one of the hottest fashion labels.’
- ‘Who wears a trilby, a cravat and an old raincoat around these parts?’
- ‘Beyond a police car and a dark van, he stopped beside a man in a raincoat and a bowler hat.’
- ‘The squad owns black raincoats and black parkas in a variety of sizes to accommodate all members for every type of weather.’
- ‘There stood two older boys, both dressed in yellow raincoats with big yellow hoods covering their eyes.’
- ‘Those attending have been advised to come prepared for the weather, raincoat and trousers and waterproof footwear.’
- ‘The men are in plain clothes and wear light raincoats or light overcoats over their uniforms.’
- ‘I find a raincoat on the coat rack and pick up an umbrella and take the girls outside.’
- ‘You just need to pray that it does not rain or, to be on the safe side, bring one of those plastic poncho raincoats that fits in your purse.’
- ‘Enclosed are ideas for embellishing your fabric and waterproofing it to make a beautiful raincoat.’
- ‘We have raincoats, hats, and umbrellas - to shut out every dampened feeling that is falling upon us.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.