One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A multiracial or multicultural country (used especially of South Africa in the post-apartheid era).
- ‘Now president of the historically white Information Technology Association, Mdwaba said his goal for the country is to create "an economic rainbow nation."’
- ‘But the "rainbow nation" has largely defied the doomsayers, rising as Africa's most powerful economy and one of its most stable democracies.’
- ‘And despite all of the doomsday predictions about post-apartheid South Africa, it seems Nelson Mandela's rainbow nation is slowly emerging, with the atrocities of the past forgiven, but not forgotten.’
- ‘As a traditional leader I have to play my part in eradicating crime so that all of us can live in a crime-free rainbow nation.’
- ‘They had voted enthusiastically when democracy dawned in 1994 to be a part of the new rainbow nation, and had done the same in 1999.’
- ‘Britain's rainbow nation is more diverse than ever, thanks to the combination of a tolerant populace, vocal gay community and forward-thinking government.’
- ‘IN 1996, in the 'rainbow nation' that was post-apartheid South Africa, Mike went in search of his pot of gold.’
- ‘The Archbishop wishes to see a diverse diocese, representing a rainbow nation.’
- ‘Remember, people, we are a rainbow nation or are these just words?’
- ‘And because we're a rainbow nation, there are so many different cultures, so many different colors, they like this stuff.’
- ‘The young students are products of post-apartheid South Africa with its rainbow nation aspirations.’
- ‘It was supposed to be a celebration of South Africa as the rainbow nation of all races united by soccer.’
- ‘Pienaar epitomised the hopes of the rainbow nation’
- ‘We are of course the ultimate rainbow nation and proud of it too.’
- ‘Has the rainbow nation faded to a country of black and white?’
- ‘History, heritage and tourism in the rainbow nation can be a lucrative business.’
- ‘Masses of revellers thronged the streets of Newtown when the rainbow nation got together to celebrate Diwali, the festival of lights, on Saturday, 22 November.’
- ‘Take the host nation, South Africa, the former land of apartheid which became the "rainbow nation" with perhaps the most egalitarian state constitution in the world.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.