One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bird that is said to foretell rain by its call, especially (in Britain) the green woodpecker or (in South Africa) a kind of coucal.
- ‘It was a slightly glum day, the vivid blue of the sky partially hidden by overcast, and the silky gray rainbirds taking flight in the chill air.’
- ‘Just a moment after his words, a silvery rainbird flew down from the tree tops, and behind the blonde-haired woman.’
- ‘Nestled in the evergreen in their front yard, there was a silky gray rainbird.’
- ‘There was a pause, the quiet air filled only by a song from a young rainbird.’
- ‘For the first time in the last seven days, the sun rose over Vaskio with a purpose, and the rainbirds graced the sky.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.