Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large tropical American tree which is widely planted as a street tree. It has grooved bark which typically supports epiphytic plants, and ‘rain’ is excreted by cicadas that live in the tree.→ saman
- ‘It is 9 a.m. and Chandran has set up shop under the shade of a young rain tree on the Chakkai-Injackal bypass.’
- ‘Lots of other trees bloom in summer, the rain tree, the neem and the Silk cotton.’
- ‘Within the city, smaller trees could be planted, but wherever possible, like in open spaces and government offices and schools, big rain trees can be planted.’
- ‘The garden was filled with cherry blossoms and swaying rain trees.’
- ‘The century-old rain trees with their huge umbrella canopy appear to nod in gratitude to the British officers who planted them, making the whole estate a giant oxygen factory.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.