One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pass entitling the holder to reduced rail fares on off-peak trains.
- ‘As I approach 26, my young person's railcard will soon be but a distant memory.’
- ‘I bet she doesn't tell any female customers to change their photo on their railcards just because they've had a new hair-do.’
- ‘A national railcard would be a great first step.’
- ‘‘There are also various railcards, saving a third off most fares, and the county council refunds half of the £18 senior railcard cost,’ he said.’
- ‘For future reference, though, I have a coach card as well as a railcard.’
- ‘I was also attracted by the free railcard because it will save me a lot of money when I want to come home or go and visit friends.’
- ‘When I arrived at the station platform I decided to remove all my CDs from my bag and the railcard was buried at the bottom.’
- ‘Holders of national railcards could claim a discount on Grand Central tickets, although there would be no further cuts on the cheapest fares.’
- ‘The moment I realised something had to be done was when I went to buy a train ticket and the cashier asked me if I had my senior citizens' railcard.’
- ‘It struck me this week, as I watched news footage of weary London rail commuters moaning about fares going up, what quite incredible value a railcard is compared to a car.’
- ‘A pensioner using a railcard for a day return from Brighton to Evesham can find himself paying any of 11 different fares, from £24.30 to £92.80, depending on which trains he happens to book.’
- ‘A ticket inspector stopped her and found she had purchased a ticket at a discounted rate, although she did not hold a Young Person's railcard.’
- ‘Finally, a new rail voucher can be exchanged at Swindon railway station for senior railcard, which gives one third off the price of most rail fares.’
- ‘Other incentives include free railcards and book vouchers, and there's even free cash being given out by Abbey and HSBC.’
- ‘The tickets were kind of expensive but at least I've got my Young Persons railcard, that saves me a third on rail prices.’
- ‘Ladies and gentlemen, the guard is passing through the train, please have your tickets and railcards ready for inspection.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.