One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pass entitling the holder to reduced rail fares on off-peak trains.
- ‘For future reference, though, I have a coach card as well as a railcard.’
- ‘As I approach 26, my young person's railcard will soon be but a distant memory.’
- ‘A pensioner using a railcard for a day return from Brighton to Evesham can find himself paying any of 11 different fares, from £24.30 to £92.80, depending on which trains he happens to book.’
- ‘A national railcard would be a great first step.’
- ‘Finally, a new rail voucher can be exchanged at Swindon railway station for senior railcard, which gives one third off the price of most rail fares.’
- ‘Ladies and gentlemen, the guard is passing through the train, please have your tickets and railcards ready for inspection.’
- ‘I bet she doesn't tell any female customers to change their photo on their railcards just because they've had a new hair-do.’
- ‘It struck me this week, as I watched news footage of weary London rail commuters moaning about fares going up, what quite incredible value a railcard is compared to a car.’
- ‘I was also attracted by the free railcard because it will save me a lot of money when I want to come home or go and visit friends.’
- ‘When I arrived at the station platform I decided to remove all my CDs from my bag and the railcard was buried at the bottom.’
- ‘Other incentives include free railcards and book vouchers, and there's even free cash being given out by Abbey and HSBC.’
- ‘The tickets were kind of expensive but at least I've got my Young Persons railcard, that saves me a third on rail prices.’
- ‘‘There are also various railcards, saving a third off most fares, and the county council refunds half of the £18 senior railcard cost,’ he said.’
- ‘Holders of national railcards could claim a discount on Grand Central tickets, although there would be no further cuts on the cheapest fares.’
- ‘The moment I realised something had to be done was when I went to buy a train ticket and the cashier asked me if I had my senior citizens' railcard.’
- ‘A ticket inspector stopped her and found she had purchased a ticket at a discounted rate, although she did not hold a Young Person's railcard.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.