One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pink-flowered European campion of damp grassland, with divided petals that give it a tattered appearance.
Lychnis flos-cuculi, family Caryophyllaceae
- ‘The site already has a good stock of colourful wild flower species such as ragged robin, great burnet and meadowsweet.’
- ‘Alongside miles of rivers and streams its dense growth is overshadowing native wild flowers such as ragged robin, purple loosestrife, marsh woundwart and meadow cranesbill.’
- ‘Clark got his own genus too - Clarkia pulchella, the ragged robin, collected on June 1, 1806, by Lewis.’
- ‘With the onset of summer there's the cow parsley, poppies, honeysuckle, wild roses, speedwell, ragged robin and foxgloves.’
- ‘We'll be walking through meadows which contained many wild flowers including meadow sweet, ragged robin and some sort of orchid.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.