Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to the measurement of radioactivity.‘radiometric data’
- ‘Both radiometric and biostratigraphic data indicate the onset of magmatism in late Mid-Jurassic time.’
- ‘It comprises several mafic, mafic-felsic and felsic intrusions with distinctive geochemical affinities and apparent radiometric ages.’
- ‘Both events clearly post-date the lower Rotliegend volcanism in the Southern Permian Basin where the volcanics give radiometric ages in the range 288300 Ma.’
- ‘Thermal images were taken with a radiometric infrared video camera.’
- ‘The sediments of the Grensen Formation are barren of all organic material and hence must be dated using radiometric and petrographic evidence alone.’
- ‘This cannot be a simple application of the photometric and radiometric test methods used for other conventional light sources, for several reasons.’
- ‘No radiometric technique that is capable of measuring on that large a time scale can narrow down ages within 10,000 years.’
- ‘Our interest was mainly in the spectral signature of the system, not the absolute radiometric values of the irradiance; thus, distances and angular content did not concern us.’
- ‘The temperature-time plot shows how this model also fails to satisfy the radiometric data.’
- ‘No radiometric data have been obtained from Stage III rocks.’
- ‘Dumyahn and First measured the three-dimensional emission profile of various types of single lamps by taking radiometric measurements at various points in space.’
- ‘We have an extensive radiometric dataset from the garnet gneiss, summarized in Table 4.’
- ‘Numerous radiometric age determinations are now available to help unravel the evolution of the East Greenland Caledonide orogen.’
- ‘The age of the intrusion is also well constrained by several radiometric analyses.’
- ‘Microwave sensor data, thermal and radiometric information etc. can be got even under adverse weather conditions or cloud cover.’
- ‘We note the peak axial radiometric temperature difference between irradiated and nonirradiated surfaces of these specimens was approximately 10 degC.’
- ‘The Institute Nacional de Meteorologia provided the radiometric, columnar ozone and meteorological information for the three stations used in this study.’
- ‘Fossils are almost never dated by radiometric methods, since they rarely contain suitable radioactive elements.’
- ‘All of these factors are likely to be important in the case of the Besdegirmen rocks, and hence igneous crystallization ages may be greater than measured radiometric ages.’
- ‘A single UVB - 1 sensor in the field can experience a change in overall radiometric sensitivity or gain during the year between successive calibrations.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.