Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A technique for determining antibody levels by introducing an antigen labelled with a radioisotope and measuring the subsequent radioactivity of the antibody component.
- ‘As an objective indicator of the infants' exposure to passive smoke, serum cotinine was measured by radioimmunoassay, with the lower level of detection at 0.1 [micro] g/ml.’
- ‘Plasma folate levels were measured by radioimmunoassay for the quantitative determination of vitamin B 12 and folate in serum.’
- ‘Basal serum C peptide levels were measured by radioimmunoassay after an overnight fast.’
- ‘To confirm the diagnosis, allergen specific serum IgE was measured by radioimmunoassay according to the manufacturer's instructions.’
- ‘Routine determination in blood now involves the technique of radioimmunoassay - even very low concentrations of hormone can be determined quite rapidly on a large number of samples.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.