One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A frequency or band of frequencies in the range 10⁴ to 10¹¹ or 10¹² Hz, suitable for use in telecommunications.
- ‘Various parameters like temperature, pressure and positions are transmitted through a wireless radio frequency via the CAN protocol.’
- ‘Some people might decide to poster their town with posters that announce Air America's arrival and the radio frequency.’
- ‘Later the lack of a common radio frequency among some units leaves Marines powerless to prevent another unit from firing on defenseless civilians.’
- ‘Each daily contact began with Hamilton announcing a number, which referred to a personal code known only by Hamilton and Pole-Evans and led both to retune to a specific radio frequency.’
- ‘It has a life span of around 20 years, lies dormant until a scanner is passed over it, and sends out a low-range radio frequency.’
- ‘Each group had its own radio frequency and had no knowledge of the frequencies used by the others.’
- ‘Partygoers tune into a restricted radio frequency through which the music of the DJ is broadcast.’
- ‘She tunes her tracking device to the specific radio frequency, points the antennae and listens for the beeps to grow louder as the turtle gets closer.’
- ‘Using the same radio frequency as fancy wireless headphones, this device comes in two parts.’
- ‘The command post was playing the national anthem over their radio frequency when we finally taxied as a four-ship for the deployment departure.’
- ‘While climbing, my instructor quickly directed me to switch to the small-deck radio frequency to get ahead of the game.’
- ‘Now it is possible to coherently link the radio frequency and optical domains with a supercontinuum comb of frequencies.’
- ‘A cordless phone uses a radio frequency to communicate with its base, which is then tethered to the plain old telephone network.’
- ‘Which radio frequency will the first responder use?’
- ‘This is because the signal is essentially a radio frequency operating in the 2.4GHz range.’
- ‘Police were forced to listen to 90 minutes of jokes after at least two men took over their radio frequency as a practical joke.’
- ‘The circuit provides an exact decoding result even when the pause period of the received radio frequency varies over a predetermined range.’
- ‘It also was a snap to set up: Just plug the tiny unit into your iPod's headphone jack, then press a button to set the radio frequency.’
- ‘Frequency assignment is the licensing of an individual radio frequency in a particular geographic area.’
- ‘By buying an additional receiver, anyone could pick up a radio frequency with a GPS position corrected to within several meters of accuracy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.