Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A centre point from which rays or radii proceed.
- ‘The caustic of a cardioid, where the radiant point is taken to be the cusp, is a nephroid.’
- 1.1Astronomy The apparent focal point of a meteor shower.
- ‘The sickle is the western portion of Leo and that is the radiant point for the meteor showers.’
- ‘Much of the first part takes place at night, in a black and white symphony of moving radiant points and rich shades of darkness.’
- ‘Generating a sky map on 8-12-2004, we find that the radiant point will be high in the northeastern sky, not far below the zenith.’
- ‘Trace some backwards: they all lead to a radiant point in the constellation Gemini.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.