One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of internal combustion engine used chiefly in aircraft, having its cylinders fixed radially around a rotating crankshaft.
- ‘Transporting the plane on the ground isn't anywhere near as fun and exciting as flying the Starliner and hearing the roar of those four radial engines!’
- ‘In another cost-cutting move, many M4s were equipped with a radial engine originally designed for aircraft.’
- ‘During his spare time, Northrop began designing a sleek multi-seat monoplane that would be powered by a large radial engine.’
- ‘The Navy reasoned that air-cooled radial engines offered added reliability, especially when operating over water.’
- ‘Some designers and pilots preferred finding the biggest radial engine they could and shoe-homing it into the smallest design possible.’
- ‘One important concession has been made with a more modern radial engine replacing the original rotary engine.’
- ‘This multi-mission aircraft design was driven by the physical dimensions of the M- 14P 360-horsepower air-cooled ninecylinder radial engine.’
- ‘‘Those late model R - 3350s are about the best radial engines ever made,’ he stated.’
- ‘As I now exited my fighter, its radial engine slowing down, I could see our massive fleet.’
- ‘In a truly amazing discovery, an unused Bristol Mercury XX radial engine was found in its original crate and this powerplant has been restored to be fitted to the Lysander.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.