Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A type of internal combustion engine used chiefly in aircraft, having its cylinders fixed radially around a rotating crankshaft.
- ‘Transporting the plane on the ground isn't anywhere near as fun and exciting as flying the Starliner and hearing the roar of those four radial engines!’
- ‘Some designers and pilots preferred finding the biggest radial engine they could and shoe-homing it into the smallest design possible.’
- ‘In another cost-cutting move, many M4s were equipped with a radial engine originally designed for aircraft.’
- ‘‘Those late model R - 3350s are about the best radial engines ever made,’ he stated.’
- ‘This multi-mission aircraft design was driven by the physical dimensions of the M- 14P 360-horsepower air-cooled ninecylinder radial engine.’
- ‘One important concession has been made with a more modern radial engine replacing the original rotary engine.’
- ‘During his spare time, Northrop began designing a sleek multi-seat monoplane that would be powered by a large radial engine.’
- ‘As I now exited my fighter, its radial engine slowing down, I could see our massive fleet.’
- ‘The Navy reasoned that air-cooled radial engines offered added reliability, especially when operating over water.’
- ‘In a truly amazing discovery, an unused Bristol Mercury XX radial engine was found in its original crate and this powerplant has been restored to be fitted to the Lysander.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.