One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A handheld device used by traffic police to estimate the speed of a passing vehicle.
- ‘Initiate laws to allow the use of the speed radar gun and the breathalyzer to deal with speeding cars and drunk drivers.’
- ‘For the cost of calming a couple of streets with speed bumps we could buy the police a radar gun and a van from which they could operate.’
- ‘She started to drive too fast and attracted the attention of a police officer with a radar gun.’
- ‘And, wherever you see a policeman with a radar gun, it is almost always in a 30 or 40 mph zone where it is impossible not to go over the limit by a mile or two.’
- ‘When a motorist is caught speeding using a hand-held radar gun, the garda shows the recorded speed on the hand device before issuing a ticket.’
- ‘Last year, pupils teamed up with traffic police and used hand-held radar guns to record the speeds of vehicles driving along Cowpasture Road.’
- ‘I have rung the police and offered to go out myself with a radar gun but they said no.’
- ‘While I was ‘flying’ down the road yesterday, I passed over a bridge only to find a cop with a radar gun on the other side waiting for me.’
- ‘A traffic police officer has hung up his radar gun after more than 20 years policing the roads of mid and north Essex.’
- ‘A friend of mine who owns a stolen radar gun once clocked my typing speed at roughly 120 words per minute.’
- ‘The acknowledgment of a radar detector of a nearby radar gun allows motorists to re-evaluate the speed of their vehicle and make any necessary corrections.’
- ‘This year they had a policeman on the hill with a radar gun and a display board to show your top speed.’
- ‘If they came down Forest Road with a radar gun they would find rich pickings indeed, speed tables notwithstanding.’
- ‘To put things into perspective, I had been living in the bay area about 2 years, and in that time I saw about 3 police cars stopped with a radar gun.’
- ‘Although the radar gun of a police officer or state trooper may be jammed, most law enforcement officials are able to identify if a vehicle is speeding excessively, which can still result in a ticket.’
- ‘The cameras have been growing in numbers along all the roads, nasty yellow boxes equipped with a radar gun and a flash camera.’
- ‘It appears a person is entitled to a print-out of the reading of what speed they were doing but the hand-held radar gun does not have that capability, hence the need not to worry.’
- ‘To add to a driver's troubles the radar gun that clocks a car's speed is accurate to at least one hundredth of a mile per hour.’
- ‘While driving in a 40 mph zone I saw in the middle distance two uniformed police officers with yellow jackets aiming a radar gun at my car.’
- ‘Traditional radar detectors use radio waves to detect when a radar gun is in use.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.