One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The official or advertised price of a hotel room, on which a discount is usually negotiable.‘many hotels have upped their rack rate so they can continue to give monumental discounts’
- ‘The normal rack rate for 2002 has been determined at N $600-00 per person per day, also for bed & breakfast in shared accommodation.’
- ‘The hotel's rack rate is $275 that can be negotiated as low as $80 including meals.’
- ‘But with few tourists willing to pay its $370 per night rack rate, the hotel has been reduced to enticing Zimbabwean residents with a knockdown rate of $35.’
- ‘The rack rate starts at over 2,000 baht per night.’
- ‘While published hotel sales usually offer decent savings off rack rates - the highest possible rate - be aware that most major hotel chains offer special discounts for travelers willing to book online rates.’
- ‘The hotel is due to open at Christmas next year, with rack rates expected to be around €125 per night per room.’
- ‘And no bargains: you must pay the rack rate, which now hovers around $250 a night.’
- ‘Hotels may try to convince you that the rack rate is their typical room rate, but it's not.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.