One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting a mechanism (e.g. for a car steering system) using a fixed cogged or toothed bar or rail engaging with a smaller cog.‘rack-and-pinion steering’
- ‘A rigidly-mounted fabricated-steel front sub-frame supports the engine mounts, suspension control arms and an electric-power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering gear.’
- ‘The going is punishing for about 1000 ft, following the line of an old rack-and-pinion railway used in hydro-electric construction.’
- ‘The longish wheelbase and wide track are good starting points, providing a very stable base which is complemented by the fully independent suspension and a very precise rack-and-pinion steering system.’
- ‘A stiffer, more aerodynamic (and, frankly, gorgeous) body rides on revised suspension, and the steering is finally an accurate rack-and-pinion setup.’
- ‘Next morning, I wanted to get in among the views, so I tackled the nearby Rhune mountain via rack-and-pinion railway, my preferred method of mountaineering.’
- ‘A more sporting chassis is promised, thanks to a new three-link front suspension, rack-and-pinion steering and modified independent multi-link rear set up.’
- ‘Together with the engine-speed-sensing rack-and-pinion power steering, the suspension is designed to provide unerring road feel while quietly isolating the passenger cabin from unwanted noise, vibration and harshness.’
- ‘With its 302-horsepower engine, it is able to provide athletic performance to complement its fully independent suspension and variable assist rack-and-pinion steering.’
- ‘The power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering gear is rubber isolated at all three of its mounting points.’
- ‘My brother's car had rack-and-pinion steering, which was in need of repair.’
- ‘Its rack-and-pinion steering is nicely weighted and predictable.’
- ‘A rack-and-pinion mechanism allowed one dish to be smoothly shifted into or out of contact with the other, controlling the ants' passage between them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.