One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Composed of dextrorotatory and laevorotatory forms of a compound in equal proportion.
- ‘The chemical structure of the natural form of ephedrine is levorotatory, while the synthetic ephedrine is a racemic mixture.’
- ‘It has developed a new process to separate racemic epoxides by hydrolysis.’
- ‘Louis Pasteur performed the first enantiomeric resolution in 1848 while studying crystals of a salt of racemic tartaric acid.’
- ‘It has an asymmetric carbon atom and therefore has levo and dextro isomers but is supplied as a racemic mixture for anesthetic use.’
- ‘Phenylpropanolamine, a racemic mixture of norephedrine esters, causes a release of norepinephrine throughout the body and stimulates hypothalamic adrenoreceptors to reduce appetite.’
Early 19th century (in racemic acid): from French racémique ‘derived from grape juice’ (originally referring to tartaric acid in this) + -ic.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.