One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person attending a race meeting, especially one who does so frequently.
- ‘Up to 50,000 racegoers are expected to attend each day of Royal Ascot in York next year and the city's tourism and hospitality industry is gearing up.’
- ‘He is expected to be riding at the groundbreaking Sunday meeting, which is geared particularly towards first-time racegoers.’
- ‘The dress code may sound outmoded and overly strict but most racegoers enjoy dressing up for what is always a very special occasion.’
- ‘Cancelled race meetings are one thing and racegoers will get over their disappointment very quickly when the action resumes.’
- ‘Uttoxeter has always been a popular course with racegoers but recent years have seen huge improvements to its facilities.’
- ‘The new grandstand will hold 10, 875 racegoers if permission is granted.’
- ‘Some racegoers even thought yesterday's racing had surpassed June's Royal Ascot meeting.’
- ‘I am a keen racegoer and enjoyed watching the Derby.’
- ‘But it is believed visiting racegoers will bring more than £50m into the local economy.’
- ‘Weekly racegoers are replaced by their once-a-year counterparts, hardened punters by revellers.’
- ‘I have been a regular racegoer at Ayr race course for 20 years and I have seen it through good times and bad.’
- ‘‘We received a lot of praise from racegoers, the public and licensees for our high profile policing,’ he said.’
- ‘There was a healthy crowd who stayed to watch the event which was put on partly to stagger the crush of racegoers leaving the course after the last race.’
- ‘Many racegoers seem to be unfazed by the allegations of race-fixing and general corrupt practices that are once again dogging the sport.’
- ‘For many racegoers, choosing a horse to bet on is both the most exciting and hardest part of a day at the races.’
- ‘Colours were first used in 1762 to help racegoers distinguish the horses in any given contest.’
- ‘Having been a racegoer for twenty years there are a couple of performances that live long in the memory.’
- ‘There were certainly signs that racegoers were developing an interest in National Hunt by the time the last race had been run on Friday.’
- ‘Royal Ascot is synonymous with fashion and its racegoers provide plenty of striking pictures for the media each year - and talking points.’
- ‘I've had the chance to mingle with the crowds and meet far more racegoers than I normally do, which hopefully helps convey the atmosphere to the viewers at home.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.