One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sporting event consisting of a series of races, typically horse races, held at a particular course over one or more days.
- ‘There are few sights quite like Ladies' Day at Aintree's Grand National race meeting.’
- ‘Catterick race meeting on Saturday, the biggest of the National Hunt season at the course, is under threat from frost and flooding.’
- ‘Apparently a race meeting went horribly wrong and the whole city's traffic gridlocked for six months.’
- ‘Wherever the race meeting, whatever the horse, he couldn't resist the allure of placing a bet.’
- ‘While the race meeting was blighted by poor weather at the start of the week, today's predicted heatwave has prompted concerns over traffic queues around York.’
- ‘The October race meeting in Galway goes ahead next weekend.’
- ‘Four tonnes of foliage is needed to build each of the 16 fences that feature in the three-day race meeting.’
- ‘The course was built at Ascot in 1711 on her orders, and the first race meeting was held there on Saturday, August 11 of that year.’
- ‘Have you ever been in the stands at a race meeting when ‘your’ horse is neck and neck on that last half furlong?’
- ‘The race meeting attracted a crowd of 27,361 people, up by 170 on last year.’
- ‘The first race meeting at Ascot was on Saturday 11 August 1711.’
- ‘A crowd of more than 2000 went to the race meeting, making it the second biggest event on the Lismore racing calendar.’
- ‘There are some restrictions on the opening times of pubs in Tadcaster as many race-goers are expected to return to the brewery town after the race meeting.’
- ‘Wind and rain brought out the brollies and raincoats at Knavesmire yesterday as the May race meeting got under way.’
- ‘Waterford and Tramore racecourse hosted the first New Year's Day race meeting, the only race meeting held in Europe that day.’
- ‘Three years later at a race meeting I met him again.’
- ‘Riders forced the expensive cancellation of a race meeting at Sandown, after making their point by boycotting it.’
- ‘Record crowds flocked to the Ebor race meeting.’
- ‘When you think about it, people spend more time at a race meeting than at any other mainstream sports event.’
- ‘At the February race meeting a fundraising event for Barretstown was organised and this will be expanded next year.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.