One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A contagious and fatal viral disease of dogs and other mammals, transmissible through the saliva to humans and causing madness and convulsions.Also called hydrophobia
- ‘If an animal that is possibly infected with rabies bites you, you must be treated promptly.’
- ‘Human or equine rabies immunoglobulin should be given if any wounds penetrate the skin.’
- ‘Foxes are known vectors for rabies and can transmit the disease to humans and other animals.’
- ‘Your cat, dog or ferret typically picks up rabies through a bite from or to another animal that has rabies.’
- ‘The authorities have all but ruled out rabies as a cause of death.’
- ‘Pasteur went on to discover vaccinations for chicken pox, cholera, diphtheria, anthrax and rabies.’
- ‘Reliable data on rabies are scarce in many areas of the globe, making it difficult to assess its full impact on human and animal health.’
- ‘Symptoms of early rabies infection in humans can include, headaches, and fever.’
- ‘An average of only one or two human deaths from rabies are now reported each year.’
- ‘The following month she began to show signs of rabies infection and was later hospitalized.’
- ‘Has the patient been in contact with saliva of an animal likely to cause rabies?’
- ‘A tentative diagnosis of rabies was made on a biopsy and confirmed at autopsy.’
- ‘This is especially true for animals that appear unusually tame, as this is an early sign of rabies in animals.’
- ‘Your risk of exposure to rabies in the United States is greater when you come into contact with a wild animal.’
- ‘Consider rabies vaccinations if you are travelling to an area where rabies is common.’
- ‘The last known case of a human being contracting rabies in France was 1924.’
- ‘A range of diseases including rabies and Lyme disease are carried by animals, so you should avoid contact with them.’
- ‘There was no report on diphtheria, rabies, tetanus or whooping cough during the study period.’
- ‘Severe bites on the head, face or neck may result in rabies in as short a period as nine days.’
- ‘However, bat rabies poses a significant threat to human population in these areas.’
Late 16th century: from Latin, from rabere ‘rave’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.