One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1short for rhythm and blues
2A kind of pop music of black origin with a soulful vocal style featuring much improvisation.
- ‘Chris has an eclectic taste in music and particularly enjoys rock, jazz, R & B and hip hop.’
- ‘This is not just urban, this is not just R & B, this is music for the soul.’
- ‘Our sound is a crazy blend of hip hop, R & B and electronic sounds.’
- ‘Make no mistake, this is R & B for the late-night crowd, packed with lyrics that are designed to make your mother blush.’
- ‘British R & B, by contrast, has always seemed pallid and traditional.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.