Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1short for rhythm and blues
2A kind of pop music of black origin with a soulful vocal style featuring much improvisation.
- ‘Our sound is a crazy blend of hip hop, R & B and electronic sounds.’
- ‘British R & B, by contrast, has always seemed pallid and traditional.’
- ‘This is not just urban, this is not just R & B, this is music for the soul.’
- ‘Make no mistake, this is R & B for the late-night crowd, packed with lyrics that are designed to make your mother blush.’
- ‘Chris has an eclectic taste in music and particularly enjoys rock, jazz, R & B and hip hop.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.