One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of protein-rich food made from an edible fungus and used as a meat substitute.
- ‘On further investigation it turned out that these Vegetarian Chicken Chunks were nothing more exciting than that delicious fungus Quorn.’
- ‘You can also buy ready-made veggie meals from every supermarket, as well as tofu, Quorn and vege-mince.’
- ‘Its products are sold in supermarkets all over Europe, but Quorn's arrival stateside earlier this year met with a less than rapturous reception.’
- ‘My wife's really into Quorn, so she uses it for chillis and stuff.’
- ‘I don't use Quorn or any meat lookalike products - what for?’
- ‘An American pressure group is trying to get Quorn off the shelves while it undergoes official tests.’
- ‘These products are marketed under the brand-name Quorn, and consist of industrially produced, entirely meat-free foodstuffs made with mycoprotein from fungi and have the taste and flavour of a range of meat products.’
- ‘Then there's mycoprotein, which is the main ingredient in Quorn, a new line of fake chicken and beef.’
- ‘Paul and I had Quorn while the others ate lamb and beef, and an hour later, feeling full and sleepy, we collapsed into the lounge for coffee and chocolates.’
- ‘So, if you want to give up meat for moral reasons, but think you'll miss it, Quorn is a good solution.’
- ‘The company is introducing meal-size salads, a side salad, fresh apples and a burger made from the meat substitute Quorn.’
- ‘Could it also be that Quorn is simply too good a simulation of meat?’
- ‘How much basil you add, or whether you use garlic, or if you prefer mince meat or Quorn mince, or add optional extras like black olives or sun dried tomatoes is entirely up to you.’
- ‘This could control and maintain optimum growth conditions for its protein product called mycoprotein, the main ingredient in Quorn.’
- ‘The other options on the two-for-a-fiver menu are haddock with chips and peas and Quorn chicken curry with rice.’
- ‘It made me admire even more people who stick to their principles and remain vegetarian, although I would never rule out going back to my Quorn eating days.’
- ‘If you're looking for something to spice up your menu plan and contribute a good dose of protein at the same time, try Quorn.’
- ‘One manufacturer, Quorn, uses a mycoprotein as its main ingredient.’
1980s: the name of a former company in the Leicestershire village of Quorndon.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.