One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A piece of quilled lace or other fabric used as a trim.‘a quilling of the punched flannel is put round the face’
- 1.1North American mass noun A type of ornamental craftwork involving the shaping of paper, fabric, or glass into delicate pleats or folds.‘Betty finds quilling a very relaxing hobby’
- ‘Together they make a wonderful gift, personal and entirely appropriate because the quilling is of a pair of golden daffodils and the calligraphy inscription is of Wordsworth's ‘Daffodils’.’
- ‘Adult workshops/public programs that relate to the Victorian era are offered through the year, including china painting, Battenberg lacemaking, beginning watercolors, paper quilling, and Christmas goosefeather trees.’
- ‘We will have a demonstration of quilling, spirille and glass painting by Paula and Ann.’
- ‘Marquetry examples represented the majority of tea caddies at this point, but there was also an interesting group decorated by amateurs in the paper filigree technique known as quilling.’
- 1.1North American mass noun A type of ornamental craftwork involving the shaping of paper, fabric, or glass into delicate pleats or folds.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.