Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
In a position where one has profited or is likely to profit from something.‘put your brain power to the test—you could be quids in with a cash prize’
thriving, doing well, prospering, buoyant, expanding, flourishing, successful, strong, vigorous, productive, profitable, booming, burgeoning, fruitful, roaring, golden, palmyView synonyms
- ‘Bargain hunters have been cashing in big-time on a discount bonanza which has left them quids in at the check-outs.’
- ‘The more sceptical claimed the council would be quids in by selling off the old school site, but no, that had nothing to do with it - it was purely a matter of space, said the council.’
- ‘I thought that if you were a woman you were quids in.’
- ‘Keeping on top of dates which must not be missed and putting a little thought into finances will pay off, hopefully leaving you quids in come the end of December.’
- ‘However, those who took advantage of the fixed-rate deals on offer before the upward movement are quids in.’
- ‘While novelists rely solely on the revenue from book sales, songwriters, in theory, can still be quids in even without a solitary record being sold.’
- ‘In areas where purchase prices are cheap, but high student numbers keep rents high, they will be quids in by subsidising their offspring through higher education if they buy a house to let out to others at the college.’
- ‘If Premiership status is achieved, they'll be quids in.’
- ‘If there's ever a call for that kind of skill in the cut-throat world of international communications, I'll be quids in.’
- ‘As long as the share price rises, and for that there is no guarantee, then staff should be quids in, as long as they stay with the bank.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.