Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A brisk military march.
- ‘Without a further second's thought she stood and made a quick march for the sleeping room.’
- ‘It represented a quick march unimpeded by opposing forces, a metaphor, say, for a powerful football team that ran over an inferior competitor.’
- ‘In a quick march, the team headed to the door leading down to the lower decks.’
- ‘Brian walked along at a quick march, angrily telling himself, "Were not going anywhere near that place again, if I have to take her half a mile out of the way to avoid it in future."’
- ‘After all the build-up it's a disappointment when no one answers the first door John Tomlinson approaches at a quick march.’
- ‘At a quick march they headed up the track, and with the fog almost gone they were chased by one or two shots from across the valley.’
- ‘Unlike official bearers, who take shifts resting in trucks and bearing the palanquin, she takes no break other than the time she can gain with her mid-night quick marches.’
A command to begin marching quickly.
- ‘Come along children, eyes front, quick march.’
- ‘"Quick march!" said the sergeant, and the four men moved on through the darkness in silence.’
- ‘A strong contingent of former and present RAAMC and RAANC members stood patiently and proudly on Anzac Parade in the heart of the national capital awaiting the order to quick march.’
- ‘"Quick, march!" ordered the Sergeant Major who himself had received a direct order from the crossing's green-man.’
- ‘On the command, "Platoon will retire in column of threes from the right, right - turn; right wheel, by the right, quick march", the platoon wheels to the right as it steps off in quick time.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.