Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who presides over a quiz or panel game.
- ‘Cathaoirleach Comhairle Laighin Liam O Neill was the question master when Laois County Council got the better of the Midland Health Board in a quiz in Áras an Chontae.’
- ‘Twenty five teams from all parts of the county who had already taken the top three spots in their own regions competed for the annual honours and the question master was Martin Carney.’
- ‘Now the question master has barred the accusing team from competing again until he receives a public apology.’
- ‘Thanks also go to Lucy for the use of her premises and the refreshments, and last but not least, the question master for the night, P.J. Murphy, who once again did an admirable job.’
- ‘The question master was Kieran Sherlock who set the quiz in motion.’
- ‘The rotation of question masters works very well as it guarantees a good variety of topics and keeps boredom at bay.’
- ‘Tom Murphy of the Laois Association in Galway will be the question master on this occasion.’
- ‘The question master for the evening is BBC Hereford & Worcester's very own Dave Bradley.’
- ‘Ten rounds of general knowledge questions will be asked on-air by celebrity question master and weekday morning presenter, Judi Spiers.’
- ‘The quiz is organised by Claremorris Soccer Club and the question master for the night was Martin Carney.’
- ‘Matthew will report on the pressures facing the four contestants as they do just this within the study room as they prepare for the gruelling test presented each evening by question master Mishal Husain.’
- ‘The question master on the night was Charlie Hughes and he excelled as usual with his witty repertoire.’
- ‘Robert Robinson, question master of radio and television, considered it ‘the funniest unknown book in the world’.’
- ‘Harding at first thought he would be suitable as the question master, but, after his one attempt was wrecked thanks to backstage mistakes, that job went to Eamonn Andrews.’
- ‘The question master will be Stephen Swords and all support would be most appreciated.’
- ‘But they failed to score in the sound clips round, much to the surprise of question master Shane O'Donoghue, and CBS Roscommon capitalised, closing the gap to 28 to 20.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.