Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small seasoned ball of pounded fish or meat.‘shape the mixture into quenelles’
- ‘Use two spoons to form quenelles from the batter, carefully dropping each into the simmering water.’
- ‘Using two teaspoons, form the cheese mixture into egg-shaped quenelles and spoon into the peppers.’
- ‘Old habits die hard and last night I served up sardine quenelles with a Chard salad.’
- ‘Form the mixture into egg-shaped quenelles using two dessertspoons.’
- ‘The gefilte fish of Jewish tradition is simply a quenelle of fish en gelée that is common in classical French cooking.’
- ‘Using two teaspoons, shape the malfatti into small quenelles and gently drop them directly from the spoons into the simmering water.’
- ‘Place salmon disk and caviar quenelle on top of egg.’
- ‘Top each portion of fish with a caviar quenelle and sprinkle with chives.’
- ‘Using a slotted spoon, remove quenelles once they rise to the surface, or after about two to three minutes and drain on a plate lined with a double layer of paper towels.’
- ‘Ladle some lobster consommé around the dish, place a quenelle of salpicon on top of the flan, and garnish with chervil.’
- ‘Form into 12 quenelles and place on a half sheet pan.’
- ‘Top with a lobster tail tip, and a quenelle of sevruga caviar.’
- ‘Set some quenelles of steak tartare around the dish and set some mache in the center.’
- ‘The quenelles will remain in the fryer and can be fished out using a spider or a fryer basket once finished.’
- ‘Arrange six pancakes around the dish, drizzle with huckleberry syrup, and top each with a quenelle of rabbit rillettes.’
- ‘There they drink a ton of excellent wine, eat the most exquisite shellfish-stuffed quenelles, and take a cab home.’
- ‘Pike is best known for the classical French preparation of quenelles de broche and for the Scandinavian where it is smoked.’
- ‘Culinary relativism is no longer an excuse for preferring gefilte fish to seafood quenelles.’
- ‘To finish the dish, using two soup spoons, form 12 quenelles with the reserved mushrooms and set aside.’
- ‘Pipe some avocado purée on top, arrange a small quenelle of caviar in the center, and drizzle some pistachio oil around the dish.’
French, probably from Alsatian German Knödel.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.