Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a homosexual man) flamboyantly effeminate:‘a queeny movie director’
- ‘It's easy to fall into the trap of that campy, queeny thing, but he carried it off with such grace - there was a beautiful elegance to him.’
- ‘But there were always the motorcycle lesbians and there were always some very brave queeny men who were willing to do that.’
- ‘But using a famously queeny actor to accomplish this task of reassurance makes the film interesting to us fifty years later.’
- ‘They were then at pains to assure me that I had never written anything remotely "queeny" on here since.’
- ‘And he does seem promisingly queeny.’
- ‘The Scouser is ignorant, stupid and fat, the gay dad is queeny, stupid and over-dressed and the Asian is stingy, stupid and scared of his mum.’
- ‘There is some queeny banter going on around us.’
- ‘I was instructed as to how to be more queeny, more queer, more homosexual, more believable.’
- ‘Colleagues at work have been either very impressed (women, young people and the vaguely queeny boy in IT) or derisory (most of the men).’
- ‘Surrounded by people who were disinclined to take her seriously, the columnist abandoned the queeny hauteur and theatrical affectations that have been her television trademarks.’
- ‘Moreover, we pledge that we will not have our uniforms redesigned on an annual basis by queeny coutouriers and put up our ticket prices on the strength of it.’
- ‘I had a queeny moment.’
- ‘Sometimes they only let couples in - I actually had to pretend to be gay and throw a queeny fit to glean admittance.’
- ‘All the queeny boys who had done their hair just right and hadn't brought their new raincoats had to laugh off their disarray in the coffee house.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.