One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for May queen
- ‘It was a time when girls or young women were chosen to be Queens of the May and maypoles were part of the celebratory dancing on village greens and in town squares.’
- ‘May has traditionally been a month of special devotion to Mary, who is Queen of the Angels and Queen of the May.’
- ‘Then I understood that I would never be Queen of the May and that négligées were too stylish for me.’
- ‘Mayday was a raucous and fun time, electing a Queen of the May from the eligible young women of the village, to rule the crops until harvest.’
- ‘In this form, May Day may be best known for its tradition of dancing the Maypole and crowning of the Queen of the May.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.