Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The pre-eminent city of a region.‘it was the undisputed Queen City of the entire Eastern Shore of Maryland’
- ‘Known as New Rome and the Queen City, it had been built to impress, its magnificent public monuments, decorated with statuary set in an elegant classical urban landscape.’
- ‘More than a week has passed since the University of Cincinnati pushed its relationship with basketball coach Bob Huggins to the brink, and things are getting ugly in the Queen City.’
- ‘A two day journey saw the group landing at Auckland, the Queen City of New Zealand and the country's largest metropolis, with nearly one million residents.’
- ‘Well, I was visiting my relations in the warm, down-home community of Springfield, MO, Queen City Of The Ozarks.’
- ‘It's a historic day in the Queen City as the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center officially is dedicated.’
- ‘Ohio University has published a catalogue of the museum's permanent exhibition entitled The Cincinnati Wing: The Story of Art in the Queen City.’
- ‘The transaction spree caught folks off guard in the Queen City and had fans dreaming of joining the division's upper crust.’
- ‘Now, with artistic director Jean-Pierre Bonnefoux and co-associate artistic directors Patricia McBride and Jerri Kumery, the company is proving to be the artistic jewel in the crown of this Queen City.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.