One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small, soft, typically heart-shaped currant cake.
- ‘Afterwards we two headed for the Café Cairo for a big mug of hot cocoa and a queen cake while we admired the frock.’
- ‘Mother, therefore, constructs a great fruit cake, and a score or more each of rock cakes, Banburies, queen cakes, date rolls and ginger nuts, three-storeyed sponge cakes mortared together with scented cream cream puffs and éclairs.’
- ‘The guilds next meeting will be on Tuesday, July 2 and the competition for the night is for the best six homebaked queen cakes.’
- ‘The winners of the monthly competition for the best four homebaked queen cakes were announced.’
- ‘From the best white soda to queen cakes and treacle cake, one of the prizes that will surely water the taste buds of visitors will be the prize for the Best Novelty Cake.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.