Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small, soft, typically heart-shaped currant cake.
- ‘Mother, therefore, constructs a great fruit cake, and a score or more each of rock cakes, Banburies, queen cakes, date rolls and ginger nuts, three-storeyed sponge cakes mortared together with scented cream cream puffs and éclairs.’
- ‘From the best white soda to queen cakes and treacle cake, one of the prizes that will surely water the taste buds of visitors will be the prize for the Best Novelty Cake.’
- ‘The winners of the monthly competition for the best four homebaked queen cakes were announced.’
- ‘The guilds next meeting will be on Tuesday, July 2 and the competition for the night is for the best six homebaked queen cakes.’
- ‘Afterwards we two headed for the Café Cairo for a big mug of hot cocoa and a queen cake while we admired the frock.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.