One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A watch operated by vibrations of an electrically driven quartz crystal.
- ‘An automatic or mechanic watch uses an engine that is powered by a spring (the automatic is also self winding); a quartz watch is powered by a battery that needs replacement once every two years.’
- ‘The Swiss failed to patent or market the quartz watch, even though they invented it, because they couldn't shift paradigms.’
- ‘Do you know that when the Japanese brought out the first battery powered quartz watches, the Swiss watch industry laid off 75 per cent of its workers?’
- ‘But quartz watches usually require only a battery which is changed every so often.’
- ‘A quartz watch on the other hand features electronic circuitry that has a limited lifespan.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.