One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A watch operated by vibrations of an electrically driven quartz crystal.
- ‘But quartz watches usually require only a battery which is changed every so often.’
- ‘An automatic or mechanic watch uses an engine that is powered by a spring (the automatic is also self winding); a quartz watch is powered by a battery that needs replacement once every two years.’
- ‘A quartz watch on the other hand features electronic circuitry that has a limited lifespan.’
- ‘The Swiss failed to patent or market the quartz watch, even though they invented it, because they couldn't shift paradigms.’
- ‘Do you know that when the Japanese brought out the first battery powered quartz watches, the Swiss watch industry laid off 75 per cent of its workers?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.