One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An electric lamp in which the envelope is made of quartz, which allows ultraviolet light to pass through it. It may be a bulb containing a halogen or a tube containing mercury vapour.
- ‘The cleaned and dried material is conveyed through a conduit g into an apparatus i in which it is exposed to ultra-violet rays from quartz lamps suspended at a distance of 15-30 centimetres from superimposed shaking trays k over which the material is fed in succession.’
- ‘The units typically contain battery packs with two sealed-beam or quartz lamps mounted on top.’
- ‘Heavy glass incandescent lamps and quartz lamps share some serious shortcomings.’
- ‘Small-scale pendant lights with halogen or quartz lamps are the ideal size for accent lighting.’
- ‘But the quartz lamps were strong enough to cause some committee members and spectators - and even one TV cameraman - to wear tinted glasses.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.