One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A stout pole 6–8 feet long, formerly used as a weapon.
- ‘Usually they practiced with wooden swords, but they also practiced with quarterstaffs.’
- ‘Apparently they want me to learn how to use a quarterstaff and a dagger.’
- ‘There was some sort of test to undertake to cross the river, sort of like when Robin Hood & Little John fight with quarterstaffs in Prince of Thieves’
- ‘However, he could find many ways to make a sword or a quarterstaff a deadly weapon.’
- ‘In battle, it could be wielded as a quarterstaff against swordsmen, or as a pike against cavalry.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.