One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A photographic plate measuring 31/4 × 41/4 inches (c.8.3 × 10.8 cm).
- ‘He loved racing cars, motorcycles, aircraft and model planes and was a passionate amateur photographer using a quarter plate camera and an Exacta "miniature" camera.’
- ‘It's a quarter plate lens that gives you those darkened corners that are so desirable.’
- ‘With a quarter-plate camera in Perth in 1898 and in the Ballarat district next year, Effie took photographs which she developed, printed and presented in albums to her parents.’
- 1.1 A photograph reproduced from a quarter plate.
- ‘This quarter plate captures a moment of international cooperation whereby a team of three Caucasians are working a sluicing operation alongside a team of four Chinese.’
- ‘Of the 435 plate images there are three distinctive plate sizes referred to as a full plate, a half plate and a quarter plate.’
- ‘If Washington ever worked in a format larger than quarter plate, examples have not turned up.’
- ‘Photographer unknown: subject unknown but identified as Richard's Family slave, Monticello, Missouri, quarter plate daguerreotype, c. 1850.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.