One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A photographic plate measuring 31/4 × 41/4 inches (c.8.3 × 10.8 cm).
- ‘With a quarter-plate camera in Perth in 1898 and in the Ballarat district next year, Effie took photographs which she developed, printed and presented in albums to her parents.’
- ‘It's a quarter plate lens that gives you those darkened corners that are so desirable.’
- ‘He loved racing cars, motorcycles, aircraft and model planes and was a passionate amateur photographer using a quarter plate camera and an Exacta "miniature" camera.’
- 1.1 A photograph reproduced from a quarter plate.
- ‘Of the 435 plate images there are three distinctive plate sizes referred to as a full plate, a half plate and a quarter plate.’
- ‘Photographer unknown: subject unknown but identified as Richard's Family slave, Monticello, Missouri, quarter plate daguerreotype, c. 1850.’
- ‘This quarter plate captures a moment of international cooperation whereby a team of three Caucasians are working a sluicing operation alongside a team of four Chinese.’
- ‘If Washington ever worked in a format larger than quarter plate, examples have not turned up.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.