Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A horse of a small stocky breed noted for agility and speed over short distances. It is reputed to be the fastest breed of horse over distances of a quarter of a mile.
- ‘Contestants enter an arena at top speed on an American Quarter Horse, ride a cloverleaf pattern around three specially positioned barrels, and then sprint out of the arena.’
- ‘The deadline to submit entries for the fourth Scientific Atlanta Cup, which honors Thoroughbred, Quarter Horse, and Standardbred racing's best simulcast product, is August 30.’
- ‘In addition, the Conquistadors conquered the new world on the backs of Andalusians, which subsequently influenced the American breeds of Azteca, Quarter Horse, Paint, Mustang and Appaloosa.’
- ‘The other inductees are Herbert Graham, one of the state's top breeders of Paints and Quarter Horses, and Miss Princess, a 1940s Quarter Horse racing star.’
- ‘Colborne will ride the horse Buttons at the Quarter Horse Championships in Fort Worth.’
- ‘Santa Anita beat out 20 other entries from Thoroughbred, Quarter Horse, and Standardbred racetracks, including Arlington Park, Del Mar, Turfway Park, and Woodbine.’
- ‘One of their animals is a Quarter Horse dubbed Phoenix because he survived life-threatening burns in a fire in Lexington in mid-August.’
- ‘Hunky and Luka were both bred in this country but they have all the Quarter Horse traits.’
- ‘Say the word ‘horse,’ and most people conjure up images of common pleasure horses such as the Quarter Horse, Morgan, or Appaloosa.’
- ‘West Nile virus has been identified in a three-year-old Quarter Horse filly in Bourbon County, part of the primary horse breeding area of Central Kentucky.’
- ‘Eleven Quarter Horse mares were assigned randomly to either the control or levamisole treatment.’
- ‘The daughter of Blushing John had been sent to Texas in May in hopes she could be artificially impregnated to a Quarter Horse stallion, with the resulting embryo flushed and transplanted in a surrogate mare.’
- ‘We have a close relationship with the Quarter Horse industry and think this will be something all breeds will be interested in.’
- ‘Since the Andalusian is the horse the Conquistadors brought to America and one of the ancestral breeds of the American Quarter Horse, perhaps that is where these personality traits originated.’
- ‘It doesn't matter if you're dealing with an Arabian, Quarter Horse, Paint, Mustang, or Hanovarian the bottom line is that they're all horses.’
- ‘The Create A Foal program offers top quality, award-winning Arabian, Saddlebred and Quarter Horse mares and stallions and it's so simple!’
- ‘The injury occurred when a Quarter Horse flipped in the starting gate with Stevens aboard, pinning his leg against the gate.’
- ‘Bode uses the American Quarter Horse and Paints when training his stunt horses, although he's worked with Andalusians and American Standardbreds too.’
- ‘Wills' performances honored the Rugged Lark Legacy and demonstrated the versatility, willingness, and charisma of the American Quarter Horse trained with a foundation of dressage principles.’
- ‘Mary is in the ring with Bianca, an exotic brunette, riding Pinto, her Quarter Horse with nice gaits and who is unflappable in nearly all situations.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.