One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A theory of matter and energy based on the concept of quanta, especially quantum mechanics.
- ‘For the rest of his life, Bell continued to criticise the usual theories of measurement in quantum theory.’
- ‘One of Penrose's major breakthroughs was his introduction of twistor theory in an attempt to unite relativity and quantum theory.’
- ‘It may run counter to intuition, but that's what standard quantum theory says.’
- ‘According to quantum theory, the state of a particle is described as its wave function.’
- ‘However there were concepts in the new quantum theory which gave major worries to many leading physicists.’
- ‘We should stress that at present there are no problems with either quantum theory or general relativity.’
- ‘Hardly was this feeling firmly established when physics was turned on its head by the twin revolutions of quantum theory and relativity theory.’
- ‘For example, Werner Heisenberg adopted the photon concept in his development of quantum theory.’
- ‘Ehrenfest was unhappy at the disagreement between Bohr and Einstein over quantum theory.’
- ‘Predicted by quantum theory, ghost radiation is a negative energy field that dampens normal positive energy.’
- ‘It seems that many of us have a problem with quantum theory, but quantum theory, it has no problem with us!’
- ‘While in Russia he wrote two papers on Einstein's relativity theory and one on Planck's quantum theory.’
- ‘So the obvious next step would be to combine general relativity, the theory of the very large, with quantum theory, the theory of the very small.’
- ‘These papers opened the way for others to apply quantum theory to the atomic nucleus.’
- ‘Bell's theorem states that there is no local realistic description of quantum theory.’
- ‘The role of the observer is central to quantum theory; nothing is known until it is measured by an observer.’
- ‘So according to quantum theory, the vacuum is a seething sea of ‘virtual’ particles.’
- ‘The only crack we see in the idea of the continuum comes from quantum theory.’
- ‘This group discussed quantum theory, relativity and statistical mechanics.’
- ‘Hardy highlights the crucial difference between classical probability theory and quantum theory.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.