One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A theory of matter and energy based on the concept of quanta, especially quantum mechanics.
- ‘The only crack we see in the idea of the continuum comes from quantum theory.’
- ‘We should stress that at present there are no problems with either quantum theory or general relativity.’
- ‘For example, Werner Heisenberg adopted the photon concept in his development of quantum theory.’
- ‘So according to quantum theory, the vacuum is a seething sea of ‘virtual’ particles.’
- ‘However there were concepts in the new quantum theory which gave major worries to many leading physicists.’
- ‘This group discussed quantum theory, relativity and statistical mechanics.’
- ‘Bell's theorem states that there is no local realistic description of quantum theory.’
- ‘Predicted by quantum theory, ghost radiation is a negative energy field that dampens normal positive energy.’
- ‘It seems that many of us have a problem with quantum theory, but quantum theory, it has no problem with us!’
- ‘The role of the observer is central to quantum theory; nothing is known until it is measured by an observer.’
- ‘It may run counter to intuition, but that's what standard quantum theory says.’
- ‘Hardy highlights the crucial difference between classical probability theory and quantum theory.’
- ‘According to quantum theory, the state of a particle is described as its wave function.’
- ‘Hardly was this feeling firmly established when physics was turned on its head by the twin revolutions of quantum theory and relativity theory.’
- ‘These papers opened the way for others to apply quantum theory to the atomic nucleus.’
- ‘For the rest of his life, Bell continued to criticise the usual theories of measurement in quantum theory.’
- ‘While in Russia he wrote two papers on Einstein's relativity theory and one on Planck's quantum theory.’
- ‘One of Penrose's major breakthroughs was his introduction of twistor theory in an attempt to unite relativity and quantum theory.’
- ‘Ehrenfest was unhappy at the disagreement between Bohr and Einstein over quantum theory.’
- ‘So the obvious next step would be to combine general relativity, the theory of the very large, with quantum theory, the theory of the very small.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.