One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The origin of this destructive phenomenon is a quantum-mechanical interaction between the spins of the electrons and the atomic magnetic moments.’
- ‘No prize had been awarded in physics since 1930, yet recent theoretical and experimental achievements had led to a revolutionary new quantum-mechanical depiction of the atom.’
- ‘However, as a subatomic particle the electron is also a quantum-mechanical object.’
- ‘In other words, its quantum-mechanical wavefunction remains unchanged when viewed in a mirror.’
- ‘Furthermore, experiments are insensitive to the overall phase of quantum-mechanical wavefunctions - a property known as gauge invariance - which leads to the conservation of electric charge.’
- ‘Being quantum-mechanical, the electron can also be in a ‘superposition’ of these states, pointing both up and down at the same time.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.