Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
verb[WITH OBJECT]Biology Medicine
Determine the quantity or extent of (something in numerical terms); quantify.‘damage to the target cells was quantitated by fluorescence microscopy’
- ‘For all treatments, plasma membrane cholesterol levels were quantitated by filipin staining as previously described.’
- ‘The polymerase chain reaction assay, branched DNA assay and nucleic acid sequence-based amplification assay quantitate human immunodeficiency virus RNA levels.’
- ‘In all specimens, mitotic index was quantitated by counting the number of mitoses per twenty 100X oil immersion fields in areas of highest mitotic activity.’
- ‘Staining was quantitated and correlated with histologic subtype and mitotic index.’
- ‘Plasma PS has been quantitated by immunologic and functional assays.’
1960s: from quantity + -ate.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.